As part of holistic health, holistic medicine is today’s modern approach to natural anti-aging treatments. Holistic health measures our current state of health and considers the whole person in mind, body, and spirit. Through complementary and alternative healthcare practices that blend with western medicine, a holistic health approach enables patients to support their health using holistic medicine and from a perspective of our whole body system versus treating one symptom at a time.
Today, let us know more about holistic medicine, some essentials, and why they are important. Read until the end and discover if holistic medicine can work for you.
What is Holistic Medicine?
Holistic medicine is an attitudinal approach to health care rather than a particular set of techniques. It addresses the psychological, familial, societal, ethical, spiritual, and biological dimensions of health and illness. Holistic medicine is believed to possess healing powers, incorporated into practice through daily holistic rituals, detox teas, healing crystals, breathing techniques, aesthetic treatments using the patient’s plasma, and Ayurvedic medicine, among others.
So, whether you choose conventional or holistic medicine for your aesthetic needs, experts support and value your choice to positively impact your journey to anti-aging.
What is Holistic Health?
Also known as holistic healing, holistic health is usually defined as a healing technique that looks at the person’s whole being: body, mind, and spirit. This kind of holistic medicine or healing usually involves multiple complementary medications and alternative healthcare practices that can overlap with modern-day western medicine but will go beyond the special treatment of symptoms in supporting more than just the body alone.
Other alternative healthcare practices that often are found within the realm of holistic health are:
- general western medicine
- personal training
- physical therapy
- reiki or energy work
- yoga or meditation
When all of these known complementary therapies come together for holistic medicine or healing, patients are much more likely to have an assured experience of wellness on a deeper level that allows for a more joyful and genuinely healthy way of living.
The 5 Aspects Of Holistic Health
When it comes to holistic health, we look beyond the physical body and address physical, emotional, social, spiritual, and intellectual health. These five (5) aspects of holistic health enable a person to live each day in the healthiest, happiest way possible. If one area is compromised, other sites will likely be as well, especially when talking about holistic medicine.
Most people think about physical health first when they think of health. This reason is valid because the body often manifests signs and symptoms of optimal or suboptimal health.
When supporting one’s physical health with holistic medicine, there are a few essential practices that everyone can benefit from and can make a significant difference in your overall well-being:
- Avoid excessive alcohol consumption and smoking.
- Eat a nutrient-dense diet high in plant-based foods and animal products that are organic or pastured.
- Limit the consumption of processed foods and hydrogenated oils that are highly inflammatory and can increase the risk of chronic disease.
- Maintain a balance in your blood sugar through meals and snacks that contain carbohydrates, fat, and protein at least every 3-4 hours.
- Move around and roam your body for a good 30 minutes every day. Although everyone’s exercise routine will be different, we can all benefit from at least 30 minutes of movement each day.
- Sleep for eight (8) hours each night. This discipline will allow your body to rest and repair from the day.
Although often overlooked and neglected, our emotional health is equally important as our physical health — mainly because it can affect our physical health if not taken care of and prioritized.
The following are ways you can support your emotional health through holistic medicine:
- Keep a handy journal wherein you can record all your thoughts and feelings. Use this journal channel for everything – what you are grateful for, what you feel, what you’re happy about – as it can help bring positivity into times of stress.
- Practice mindfulness and stress reduction habits to help you better manage daily stressors.
- Seek out therapy when needed. Treatment is essential to supporting our emotional health and should be utilized whenever necessary.
Experts state that those who are happiest have deep and constant connections with their loved ones – friends, family, and the community. It is why religion is usually connected with one’s happiness since it can provide deep senses and sources of community and support, no matter what faith a person chooses.
Now, here are some ways, along with holistic medicine, that you can support your social health:
- Get active and involved in your local community and its activities through your church, clubs, local volunteer organizations, or even programs at your kids’ school.
- Make time for in-person connection because experts state that virtual connection still does not get the job done in providing us with the same happiness as an in-person connection.
- Set boundaries with those in your life, especially those that may only increase stress or bring about toxic energy. Do not be afraid to leave friendships and relationships that negatively affect your health.
Spiritual wellness does not necessarily mean you must become religious, although the two often overlap with principles and practices. With holistic medicine, focus your spiritual health on how you connect with your inner soul and the more incredible world around you. Again, here are a couple of ways you can support your spiritual health:
- If you are religious, always take the time to practice your faith
- Spend a few minutes each day meditating
- Spend time in nature
Last but not least is the aspect of mental health, which often overlaps with our emotional and physical health. The significant distinction between our mental and emotional health is that while our emotional health refers primarily to our emotions and daily moods, mental health is our cognitive abilities that help and affect how our brain functions – all of which are handled through holistic medicine.
The following are ways you can support your mental health:
- Always keep your mind active by seeking learning opportunities and problem-solving practices that challenge your brain.
- Avoid too much drinking, smoking, and consuming recreational drugs.
- Consume nutrient-dense foods high in antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids to help reduce overall inflammation and support cognitive function.
- Improve gut health with gut-healing foods like bone broth and prebiotic and probiotic-rich foods. Because our brains are directly connected to the gut, healthy hearts are essential for a healthy mind.
- Incorporate activities like yoga, meditation, gardening, and other grounded and mindfulness practices that calm the mind and ground the body in the present.
Holistic medicine can help us in a multitude of ways. Focusing on these five (5) aspects of holistic health in our daily lives, we can make our bodies become incredible systems that can start addressing and identifying health issues from a more holistic and whole-body perspective.